Here’s what I tweeted:
- Because I just finished watching ‘Apocalypse Now Redux,’ some tunes from the era – CCR, ‘Run through the Jungle’ -http://tinysong.com/iu9E
- Jefferson Airplane, ‘Volunteers’ - http://tinysong.com/B4NX
- Rolling Stones, ‘Midnight Rambler’ - http://tinysong.com/80SE
- The Doors, ‘The End’ - http://tinysong.com/klWE
- One more: Rolling Stones, ‘Paint It Black’ - http://tinysong.com/1Txe
The Doors song is the only one on the sound track. It’s used to set the mood for the film:
Finally, if I were to ever direct my own Vietnam War movie, this Stones song would definitely be in: Gimme Shelter. It’s a great puzzle to me why it hasn’t been used.
See the comments below. Gimme Shelter is being used to market a current video game.
While I think the tracks I listed above would work in a Vietnam-era war movie, I think Coppola made the right choices for his film — and that mine would have screwed things up. I’m sure he would be relieved to learn I feel that way. :)